Los Cabos was accidentally discovered by Hernán Cortés in 1533. On the other hand, The Mission of San José del Cabo was founded in 1730 by the father José Echeverría and the Jesuit father Nicolás Tamaral. It was in this town that the Independence of Mexico in the Baja California Territory was witnessed and proclaimed for second time in 1822.
In San José del Cabo, during the American invasion in 1847, the defense of the Mexican territory was witnessed and Lieutenant Antonio Mijares was killed there who died in a heroic way. Its activities as municipal seat of Los Cabos municipality began in 1928. And it was not until 1981, that the State Congress passed the creation of the fourth municipality in Los Cabos.
At this very moment, it has a very promising future due to the federal investments in the tourist infrastructure which have made possible that these lands have become in one of the most visited places by foreign tourists mainly in the state of California and in Canada.